I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Weekly Progress Update Linky Party hosted by my friend, Roseanne, at Home Sewn By Us.
To-Do for the week of January 21st-January 27th:
- Make one more tree block to donate to the Wollongong Modern Quilt Guild in Australia who are collecting tree-themed blocks for families who have lost their homes from the Australian bushfires. – √ Done
- Quilt (very simply) eight Reel Time mug rugs and finish them using the “cheater binding” method (See Last Week’s Post for details). – √ Done
- Make 12 Solstice BOM Month 1 units.– √ Done
The pine tree block below was made using a free tutorial from Sherri@A Quilting Life, and it uses traditional piecing. It sewed up quickly, and I think I will probably make this block again. Sherri made hers into a cute Christmas patchwork pillow surrounding the block with a border of bright squares of Christmas fabric.
These eight mug rugs weren’t quite as quick to finish, but they didn’t take too long. I just quilted simple diagonal lines. I used 2.5” squares, so the four-patches were 4.5” square. I cut 6.5” squares of the backing fabric that I flipped over for binding.
I made strip sets for my Solstice BOM Month 1 blocks and decided to get the Creative Grids 60 degrees Equilateral Triangle ruler to trim to 8” triangles, rather than using a handmade plastic template. It made trimming the triangles a breeze! I formed a hexagon with these Month 1 triangles stacked in pairs and placed the hexagon in front of the panel that I will use on the back of the quilt.
To-Do for the week of January 28th-February 4th
- Make a label for my Medallion Lanterns quilt which I should be getting back from Sew Shabby Quilting this week.
- Machine sew the binding for Medallion Lanterns on the front of the quilt and start hand-stitching it down on the back of the quilt.
- Write my One Monthly Goal post for February. I have a brand-new project that I’ve started working on that I will share in that post and then of course you will all get blow-by-blow updates in my weekly To-Do Tuesday posts!