I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Weekly Progress Update Linky Party hosted by my friend, Roseanne, at Home Sewn By Us.
To-Do for the week of February 11th-February 17th:
- Finish making the four-inch units for the last four rows of Karla’s quilt top and start sewing the units into rows. – √ Done
- Cut some 5” squares for the quilt I am making to celebrate my great-nephew, Hayden’s graduation from high school in June. – √ Done
- Pick fabrics for two placemats that I will be making for my friend, Sharon, that will go with the Travel Trailer pillow I made for her last year that she can use in her fifth-wheel Scamp. I am using the Square in Square Quilted Placemat Tutorial by Sarah Ashford.– √ Done
I finished making the last unit for Glimmers of Gold on Sunday. There are a total of 168 units in the quilt top, and I have some leftovers that you might see in a wall hanging for me down the road. Below is a photo of all the units pinned on my design board (I have to pin the units because of moving the design board back and from behind my cutting table to in front of a door which allows me to get a full shot of this work in progress). The second pic shows the units sewn together for Rows 1 and 2. I’m actually finished sewing the units together through the ninth row.
Over the last few months, I’ve been accumulating fabrics to use for the high school graduation quilt I’m making for my great-nephew, Hayden. The theme is primarily camping which is a major family activity/interest along with some fabrics that reflect some of his other interests such as fishing and bicycling. Below are twelve 5” squares that I’ve cut. I will need a total of 54 squares, so there will definitely be duplicates and possibly three cut from some of the fabrics. I have several other fabrics from which I still need to fussy cut some squares. Two of these fabrics have cowboy boots and hats which aren’t so much my style, but they are Hayden’s style, so they will be included in his quilt. Can you guess which fabric square below is my favorite?
I had the fabrics picked mid-week for my friend, Sharon’s camping placemats. The fussy cut centers were cut from fabric with camping chairs and some animals including an owl, a bunny, and two squirrels. Speaking of squirrels (a term quilters use when we get sidetracked and end of up working on a project we hadn’t planned to work on), I just couldn’t help myself. After I picked out the fabrics and fussy cut the center squares, I had to start sewing the paper-pieced economy blocks, and then it was a hop, skip, and a jump to getting the blocks sewn together with borders. Below are two versions of the top of the placemats. The one at the top of the photo followed the pattern directions exactly, and the bottom placemat has an additional left and right side border which I like much better. The original version measured 10.5” x 13.5”, and my revised version measures 10.5” x 15.5”. Even my revised version is on the small side for a placemat, but since they will be on a table in a travel trailer, I think they will work perfectly.
To-Do for the week of February 18th-February 24th
- Finish sewing together the Glimmers of Gold quilt top.
- Trim my Stargazer quilt which is supposed to be back from Sew Shabby Quilting today and choose fabric for binding.
- Find/cut strips if necessary to use for two string blocks for the 2020 String Block Drive for Covered in Love.
Linking up to Home Sewn By Us: To-Do Tuesday Weekly Progress Update #28.