I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Linky Party hosted by Chris at ChrisKnits.
To-Do for the week of March 9th-15th:
- Bind my Mosaic Tiles class project. √ Done
- Quilt my Harry Potter (Dumbledore) mini quilt. √ Done
- Work on my Snowflake Embroidery Month 2 block. √ Done
- Continue spending at least 15 minutes a day playing with EQ8. √ Done
I recently read the binding tutorial from Michelle at From Bolt the Beauty on How I Bind My Quilts. I’ve not had much success in the past with machine binding but spontaneously decided to try her tutorial with my Mosaic Tiles class project which I am now referring to as my Whale Tales mini quilt. It’s easier to experiment with projects that I’m keeping for myself. Overall it went better than my previous machine binding attempts (and certainly was MUCH faster than hand-stitching the binding down on the back), and glue basting the corners definitely improved the look of my corners. What doesn’t work for me is how the machine stitching looks on the quilt label I make for almost all of my quilts. So if I’m going to machine stitch the binding for a gift quilt, I need to change how I label the quilt. I have an idea how I might do it and will probably try it out on my Shoal Fish quilt next month. Below are pics of the front and the back. Some of you may recognize the Cotton+Steel Octopus print on the back. I’ve had it in my stash for a few years and recently used it on the back of my modified Meadowland quilt and had some leftover to use on the back of this mini quilt.
I quilted my Dumbledore mini quilt and also got it bound. I hand-stitched the binding to the back in my usual manner. Right now I’m just going to share a pic of the back and will save sharing photos of the front of the mini quilt until the end of the month when I link up with Elm Street Quilts March 2021 OMG Finishes.
I made more progress with my Snowflake Embroidery BOM Month 2 block. I should finish it this coming week.
I am enjoying spending daily time with EQ8 particularly with Kari Schell@On Point Quilter’s Spring Fever EQ8 Mystery (though she talks really fast and I frequently have to back up the videos over and over to catch what she is saying). Below are the four EQ8 blocks I created this past week.
To-Do for the week of March 16th-22nd:
- Finish my Snowflake Embroidery Month 2 block.
- Continue spending at least 15 minutes a day playing with EQ8.
- Cut out some equilateral triangles from the Fairy Dust Ombré fat quarters arranged like a star on the left below. For a different project I’m also cutting out some equilateral triangles from the Boundless Ombré fat quarter bundle on the right. All of this ombré fabric is an early birthday present from my best friend, Mary. She did well, I would say!
Linking up to Chris Knits: To-Do Tuesday.