I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Linky Party hosted by Chris at ChrisKnits.
To-Do for the week of June 1st-7th:
- Bind my modified Meadowland (Whale Tales) quilt. √Done
- Get caught up with Tech Know Quilters intro to Easy Draw lessons. √Done
- Cut 2.5” and 4.5” strips for the Positivity Quilt Along hosted by Sew Preeti Quilts. √Done
I’ve had my quilted Whale Tales Modified Meadowland quilt back for a couple months from Jessica@ Sugar Mill Quilts whom I have gotten to know through Instagram. I really like the quilting pattern that she suggested which looks like ocean waves. This 64” X 64” throw is for my nephew Jack who will celebrate his 50th birthday in July. I will be able to give it to him in person when I visit California early next month. Jack is a surfer and loves the ocean, so I thought a quilt using the Whale Tales fabric collection by Katherine Quinn would be perfect for him. The binding is grey Cloud 9 Shadow Cirrus solid which I also used in the quilt. It is favorite fabric of mine because of the texture it adds, though like any shot cotton, it does tend to fray.
I sewed this quilt in rows rather than blocks to accommodate the 8.5” fussy-cut squares featuring some wonderful ocean images. The orangey-brown fabric that frames the octopus below is Kona Cedar. I really like how it complements the feature fabrics in the quilt top.
The backing fabric is a Cotton+Steel Octopus print that I’ve had in my stash for a few years.
I finished the 13 lessons that were included in Kari Schell’s Tech Know Quilters Intro to Easy Draw module. Below is a quilt I drafted in EQ8 using Kari’s instructions that I may make someday using Giucy Giuce’s fabrics.
I’m starting to cut fabrics a little early for the Positivity QAL, so I can get most of the blocks sewed before my trip to CA. I used my Accuquilt strip cutter to cut the 2.5” colorful Kaleidoscope strips as well as the 2.5” Charcoal background strips. I wished I had a strip cutter to cut the twenty-two 4.5” background strips, but I got those done the old fashioned way. No pic—you’ll have to trust me on this!!!
To-Do for the week of June 8th-14th:
- Make two blocks for the Covered in Love May-June Block Drive. Tammy is guest hosting this block drive, and she has chosen a really easy block with a 5” center (our choice—think I-Spy for Grown-ups) and 3.5” borders in colors of sea and sand (which can include the colors yellow, cream, and gold).
Stitch two Sashiko rainbow squares that will be made into mug rugs for my cousin, Sally, and her daughter, Kenzie, who I will see when visit California next month. They both are sewists and quilters who enjoy hand-crafted items.
- Subcut 2.5” and 4.5” squares and 2.5” X 6.5” rectangles for the Positivity Quilt Along hosted by Sew Preeti Quilts.
Linking up to Chris Knits: To-Do Tuesday.