To-Do for the week of Sept 21st- 27th:
- Work on a simple I Spy quilt top. √Done
- Write my 2021 September OMG Finish post. √Done
- Cut fabric for our family Blakely Sew-Along. √Done
- Take a Quilt Edge Finishings online workshop with Nicholas Ball through CraftyMonkies. √Done
I made a simple I Spy quilt top using this tutorial for a special child in my life who will turn one in December (her parents are not comfortable with any kind of specific online reference to her, so I’m respecting their wishes). I found I needed to cut my longer sashing strips 6″ long rather than 5.5″ as stated in the tutorial. It was a quick quilt top to make that I was able to finish in less than a week.
I wrote about my North Stars quilt top finish in my September 2021 OMG Finish post.
I got all the cutting done for my family Blakely Sew-Along project and saved a lot of time using my Accuquilt strip cutter to cut the 2.5 inch strips. This is hands-down my most subdued ombré project this year!
I really enjoyed the Quilt Edge Finishings online workshop with Nicholas Ball through CraftyMonkies on 9/26/21. I took a lot of notes and screen shots. I really want to try his pillow case facing method (see class demonstration photo below) as well as the Welsh Knife Edge technique. I could not find the pillow case finishing method anywhere online but I did find a post on Welsh Quilts: How to Sew a Traditional or Knife Edge. Nicholas’ method is a little different and much clearer to me than the Welsh Quilts tutorial, but it is a cool way to finish a quilt without using extra binding or facing fabric.
To-Do for the week of Sept 28th-Oct 4th:
- Stitch a grey Sashiko square with variegated turquoise floss.
- Write my October 2021 OMG post.
- Make some ombré wonky stars for my Oct ’21 OMG project.
Linking up with Texas Quilt Gal: To-Do Tuesday.