To-Do for the week of Nov 30th-Dec 6th:
- Finish my Turquoise and Grey Sashiko squares and make them into a set of five coasters for my stepdaughter, Alisha. √Done
- Finish my Black and Gold Sashiko squares and make them into a set of five coasters for my stepson, Drew √Done
- Write my December 2021 One Monthly Goal post.√Done
The finishing instructions in the Sashiko coasters kits I’ve seen so far suggest that the Sashiko square be placed right sides against another piece of Sashiko fabric and stitched around the perimeter leaving a gap of 2-3″ to be turned right-side out and slip-stitched closed. I like a more finished look as well as coasters that have more substance to them, so I used a piece of batting between the Sashiko square and the backing fabric and chose to bind these 4.5″ square coasters with a contrasting solid fabric, using the mini binding tutorial from Twiggy and Opal. Don’t be surprised to see more variegated turquoise on grey Sashiko fabric coasters in 2022. I think I might need to a set to keep!
I also finished the Sashiko coasters for my stepson, Drew, using black binding fabric. They measure about 4″ x 4.5″. These dark, masculine-looking coasters aren’t exactly to my taste, but I really like how they look with these simple wood Christmas ornaments, and hopefully Drew will like them.
This past week I wrote my December 2021 One Monthly Goal post about making a Cardinal Mini Quilt. The good news is my Kona Cardinal fabric arrived on Saturday.
I wrote a post on Friday about my Christmas North Stars quilt which is my November 2021 Favorite Finish:
To-Do for the week of Dec 7th-13th:
- Make progress on my Cardinal mini quilt.
- Start working on a Sew Tiny Christmas ornament. Have you seen the free Sew Tiny Ornament Sew-Along hosted by Kitty@nightquilter on Instagram? I definitely want to make one of the tiny Christmas trees with a little embroidery embellishment.
- Start working on a simple pink tote bag with a not-so-simple paper-pieced star on one side.
Linking up with Texas Quilt Gal: To-Do Tuesday.