Morning Coffee and Cream Quilt Finished and Delivered

The Morning Coffee and Cream Quilt I made for my sister is finished and has been delivered. It was so much fun to deliver it in person a couple weeks ago when I was on vacation in Arizona. The first leg of the journey was in Sedona, and part two was at the glorious Grand Canyon. I gave the quilt to my sister at our condo in Sedona where she first photographed it.

Then we had to take full advantage of the beauty of Sedona as a backdrop for the quilt.

And a full shot of the quilt back:

The quilt was from a kit that my sister purchased through Annie’s Catalog. When I first started quilting, I thought kits were total cheats as I thought they came with the fabric all cut into squares and ready to sew. So NOT the case! What this kit came with was the quilt pattern, six half-yard cuts of coordinating fabric from Benartex’ Burlap and Lace Collection, and a 1/4 yard of black fabric for a flanged binding which I decided not to use. I did an online search and found more of one of the prints in the quilt top to use for the binding. For the back, I also found more of the tile panel fabric online at an obscure quilt store which I cut into 5 1/2 squares (as I did on the quilt top) and then sewed them together with grey and black fabric from my stash. Peggy Lopez O’Neil’s longarm quilting in cream thread brought it altogether.

I used a decorative stitch to sew down my binding on the front, and I have to say this binding feels secure. I didn’t feel nearly as nervous when I washed it as I have with my previous quilts! This is my first finish for my Finish-Along 2015-4th Quarter Goals.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts: Finish it Up Friday and Confessions of a Fabric Addict: Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

This entry was posted in 2015 Finishes, Quilting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Morning Coffee and Cream Quilt Finished and Delivered

1. Jackie Rubio says:

What a lucky recipient I am! Thanks, Mary, it is truly lovely! I’ll send you a picture of Slinky enjoying the quilt.

2. Helen says:

Fantastic photos and a fantastic quilt . Lovely to be able to gift it to your sister in person. Looks a gorgeous place

3. Lisa says:

I love the photos and I love the quilt. You made a good choice to switch up the binding from that offered in the kit.

4. What a great finish, and especially gratifying to be able to deliver the quilt in person. Lovely backdrops for your photos, and I hope your sister gets a lot of warmth and love in her use of the quilt. 🙂

5. Tish says:

What a beautiful quilt for your sister and awesome that you were able to give it to her in person. The mountains made for a perfect backdrop to show case your work. When I first heard of quilt kits, I had the same thought you did, until I purchased one. Then I had a slight panic of what if I run out of fabric?? 🙂

6. Heide says:

Such a beautiful quilt, Your sister is going to cherish this! The fabric is very pretty.

7. Shauna says:

Beautiful quilt and beautiful backdrop to take your picture! I’m sure your sister will enjoy her quilt.

8. The thing I think I loved most about Sedona was how lush and green it was when we were there. What beautiful quilt! It looks as though it was made for a photo shoot in front of that fountain in Sedona. There’s no doubt that your sister will truly appreciate it.

9. Lovely quilt. The background of Sedona is awe-inspiring.

10. Pingback: Best of 2015–Favorite Pics of Animals on my Quilts | Quilting is in my Blood

11. Pingback: Modern Baby Quilt Finished | Quilting is in my Blood

12. shecanquilt says:

It’s a beautiful quilt, and what fantastic photos too! I’m visiting as part of the 2015 FAL Cheerleading Squad.

13. Pingback: Slinky’s Friends | Quilting is in my Blood