I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Weekly Progress Update Linky Party hosted by my friend, Roseanne, at Home Sewn By Us.
To-Do for the week of February 18th-February 24th:
- Finish Glimmers of Gold quilt top. – √ Done
- Trim my Stargazer (Modified) quilt and choose fabric for binding. – √ Done
- Find/cut strips if necessary to use for two string blocks for the 2020 String Block Drive for Covered in Love.– √ Done
I finished my Glimmers of Gold quilt top on Saturday and blogged about it in February 2020 One Monthly Goal Finish post. Below is a photo I took of the swatch page for this project. That may sound like I prepare a similar page for all my projects. Nope—this is the first time I’ve done this, but I hope to make this a regular practice as it’s interesting to see all the fabrics used on one page.
After trimming up the Stargazer (Modified) quilt, I had some wide strips of backing fabric left which I decided would be perfect to bind this quilt. I was able to get all the binding strips cut from the backing fabric trimmed off the quilt. I think the colors in the batik fabric shown below look so good with all the solids on the front of the quilt (second pic below is a photo of the quilt top before quilting). I got the binding made and machine-stitched to the front of the quilt on Sunday and just barely started hand-stitching it to the back. I plan to share a finished quilt photo next Tuesday (hopefully even an outside pic!)
I thought I could select all the strips ahead of time that I needed to sew two string blocks for the Covered in Love project, but once I got started, it made more sense to pick a couple strips and start sewing the block and then choose the subsequent strips of varied widths. I made two blocks—the first with mostly warm colors and the second block with cooler colors. It was fun seeing fabrics from several projects that I’ve completed the past couple years. I especially love that butterfly fabric in the second photo below. That’s why it’s such a wide strip! It’s not too late to make some blocks for this string block drive (see link above).
To-Do for the week of February 25th-March 2nd
- Finish binding my Stargazer (Modified) quilt.
- Finish cutting 5” squares for Hayden’s Graduation quilt.
- Cut Color Swatches from my The Quilter’s Field Guide to Color book by Rachel Hauser. Have you heard of her Quilter’s Color Quest that starts in March? All you need is a copy of her book, and it is a free six-month journey to learn more about playing with color. I’m totally in!