I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Weekly Progress Update Linky Party hosted by my friend, Roseanne, at Home Sewn By Us.
To-Do for the week of Nov 10th-Nov 16th:
- Work on binding the placemats that I will be sending to my brother and SIL as a 50th wedding anniversary gift. √ Done
- Make a few Color Jolt blocks. √ Done
- Stitch another modern Sashiko square. √ Done
After I received my Sunflowers “quilt” back from Melissa at Sew Shabby Quilting, I cut it all apart into one table runner and 11 placemats (there were supposed to be twelve, but there was an “Oops” with one placemat that eventually will be a Sunflower Mini). Luckily I had only planned to send ten placemats to my brother and SIL. I thought about machine stitching the binding down on both sides of the placemat, but frankly, when I’ve done that, I haven’t had great results. So after I machine stitched the binding on the front of the placemats, I slowly but surely got the binding hand-stitched down on the back of the placemats as well as the table runner, finishing the hand-stitching on Monday. Below is one of the finished placemats. I really love the Sunflowers quilting motif in goldenrod thread that Melissa used. I deliberately oversized them at 13.25” X 19” because I knew they would shrink when washed even if air dried. After the placemats were washed and air dried, they measured 12.75” X 18.5”.
I did indeed make a few more Color Jolt blocks that are pictured below. It’s a fairly easy paper-pieced pattern though I prefer to cut wider and longer pieces than what is written in the pattern instructions.
I continue to have fun making these fast and easy modern Sashiko squares using rainbow thread on a dark indigo background. I plan to sew them into a table runner.
To-Do for the week of Nov 17th-Nov 23rd
- Make more Color Jolt blocks.
- Take a photo of several of the placemats and the table runner that I will be sending to my brother and SIL as a 50th wedding anniversary gift and then get it in the mail!
- Stitch a fourth modern Sashiko square.