My April 2022 One Monthly Goal was to sew together the first quarter (January, February, and March 2022) of the THREE temperature quilts I am making this year. Below is a pic of Jan-March units sewn together with my town in New Mexico (NM) on the left, my stepdaughter’s Bay Area city in California (CA) in the middle, and my stepson’s city in Washington (WA) on the right.
I am using the same Kona solids to depict each temperature range, and when they are finished, it will be so much fun to see the quilts next to each other and compare the different temperatures for each state. I’m using Accuweather to track temperatures. The large triangles (geese) are the high temperatures, and the small triangles (sky) are the low temperatures. On January 1st the geese for NM, CA, and WA were all pointed up. If the temperature stayed the same or increased, the geese for Jan 2nd pointed up as shown with California and Washington, but since the high temperature decreased in New Mexico on Jan 2nd, I pointed that goose down. I’ve used 16 of my 21 color ranges so far. They are: <0 Orchard Ice, 0-9 Violet, 10-14 Magenta, 15-19 Geranium, 20-24 Dark Violet, 25-29 Purple, 30-34 Noble Purple, 35-39 Surf, 40-44 Ocean, 45-49 Celestial, 50-54 Mediterranean, 55-59 Cyan, 60-64 Glacier, 65-69 Clover, 70-74 Kiwi, and 75-79 Chartreuse. I’m using Kona Charcoal to sew rectangles to the end of the columns for the months that don’t have 31 days.
I’m using 2″x4″ finished flying geese in all three quilts. I am paper-piecing all the flying geese using Lee@Freshly Pieced’ Perfect Flying Geese and keeping track of the date, state, and colors on the paper to help keep me organized. At first I was making flying geese for several days at a time, but I’ve found making the flying geese units on a daily basis works best for me. Here is what the back of the units look like:
When sewing the units into columns, I sometimes had to match up the points of the geese. At first I tried to use David Sirota’s tip on How to Get Points to Align Perfectly using dental floss, but that was going to take too much time. Next I just tried to eyeball where the points matched with not very good results, so then I thought I would use a long flower pin inserting the pin as I did with the needle threaded with dental floss:
I sewed very carefully up to pin which helped my points match fairly decently (meets my “good enough” criteria!)
I sewed the units for the three columns in four different groups first sewing NM Jan 1st to 2nd, then CA Jan 1st to 2nd, and then WA 1st to 2nd tearing off the paper right before I sewed the units together (but taping little labels to the back of the some of the units to keep myself straight). Then I reached around and clipped off the two units for NM and CA and added Jan 3rd to each column, then I clipped the two units for WA and added Jan 3rd, etc. When I had added units through Jan 8th for each state, I started again with the Jan 9th units. I felt that I had to use this rather meticulous method to not get my dates mixed up.
I won’t lie, making three temperature quilts at one time is time consuming, but my organizational system is working pretty well, and it was definitely reinforcing to see the first three months sewn together for all three temp quilts. So far I’m current with April. I’m looking forward to using Kona Citrus when the temperature in one of the three cities I’m tracking hits 80-84.
Linking up to Elm Street Quilts: One Monthly Goal April 2022 Finish.