I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Weekly Progress Update Linky Party hosted by my friend, Roseanne, at Home Sewn By Us.
To-Do for the week of March 24th-March 30th:
- Make more paper-pieced units for the Stargazer pillows this week. – √ Done
- Cut backing fabric and send off quilt top to be quilted. – √ Done
- Quilt my rainbow mini criss cross block and bind it with cheater binding. – √ Done
- Extra Credit: Finish two camping placemats for my friend, Sharon. – √ Done
I had a fairly productive week. It helped that I took my birthday off last Tuesday, which gave me an extra sewing day. Certainly going somewhere wasn’t an option in current “stay home” environment. These days I’m only doing what I’m in the mood for (and have the patience for) and I’ve crossed more challenging projects off of my list, at least for now. I finished paper-piecing all the units and then sewed them together for Mary’s Stargazer pillows. Here is one all ready to be quilted. I glue basted the layers with a glue stick and safety pinned the corners. I’m not sure how I’m going to quilt them, but rest assured, it will be simple quilting!
Below is a pic of the backing fabric for my Vertices quilt that I will be donating to Mercyful Quilts this spring through the Hands2Help Comfort Quilt Challenge 2020. I sent it off on Friday for quilting to The Modern Quilting Company. I got this fabric on Amazon where they have a variety of reasonably priced Santee Print Works 108” wide fabric.
To Do #3
I had planned to participate in the Mini Series SAL hosted by Alison Glass and Giucy Guice, and made a mini criss cross test block before the sew along started. What I found is the tiny piecing is too time consuming and tedious for my current mindset (especially removing the paper!), so I’ve decided to focus my energies elsewhere. Here is my rainbow criss cross mini quilted and finished. We quilters are not supposed to criticize our own work, so I won’t, but let me reiterate that I much prefer piecing to quilting! Still this 4.5” square mini definitely brightens up my office, and I’ve decided to share it on Sarah Goer’s Show Me Something Rainbow Linkup that closes today. Take a look at all the beautiful rainbow eye candy!
I’m so happy to have finished these camping placemats that my friend, Sharon, can use in her Scamp trailer. The back of these placemats is a busy trailer print. I chose to use it because it has a couple small signs that say Sisters on the Fly which is a camping organization for women, and Sharon has become very active with this group of women. Sharon actually picked up these placemats from her post office box on Sunday which was her birthday, and she texted me to tell me how much she loves them. That definitely made my Sunday.
To-Do for the week of March 31st-April 6th
- Quilt the Stargazer pillows this week.
- Make the binding for Karla’s Glimmers of Gold quilt.
- Make the binding for Hayden’s Graduation quilt.
- My friend, Laura, sent me an interesting article from the Washington Post on DIY Masks. After reading the article, I believe it makes sense to wear a mask when going out in public. Most of the mask patterns call for elastic which is hard to find these days. I’ve ordered some black elastic that is supposed to be here April 8th. But Gotham Quilts has recently made a Simple Face Mask Pattern available that uses ties rather than elastic. So I need to pre-wash some fabric, and I hope to share at least one handmade face mask next Tuesday.