I am joining the weekly To-Do Tuesday Weekly Progress Update Linky Party hosted by my friend, Roseanne, at Home Sewn By Us.
To-Do for the week of Dec 22nd-Dec 28th:
- Finish my Cat & Birds quilt top and write my Dec 2020 OMG Finish post. √ Done
- Finish binding another sunflower placemat or two. √ Done
- Stitch my 9th Rainbow Sashiko square that I will be sewing into a small table topper after the first of the year.
I finished my Cat & Birds quilt top before Christmas and got it into the mail to Melissa at Sew Shabby Quilting a couple days later. Here’s the link to my December 2020 OMG Finish post if you’d like more info about this project.
I finished binding two more Sunflower placemats this past week. The pic below shows the back of the table runner that I finished binding a couple weeks ago. I thought I’d share some of my favorite binding tools this week. They are Aurafil 50 wt thread (for this project I’m using Medium Orange 5009 that matches nicely with the rust peppered cotton binding fabric), the tiny, super sharp Big Eye Quilting needles Size 10 (but I say “Big eye my a$$!” which is why I also use a needle threader), and in recent months I purchased a Knuckle ring from Kimonomomo’s Etsy shop that has little grooves that help push the needle through the quilting and binding layers. My favorite binding tip is to tie a single knot right by the eye of the needle which helps my needle from becoming unthreaded. It sometimes loosens anyway with the thread coming out of the needle but less frequently so.
For my 9th rainbow Sashiko square, I decided to make another diamond design. As I did for my 8th Rainbow Sashiko Square, I drew a 1/2” by 1” grid on a blank indigo square and then added the diagonal lines across the rectangles that became my stitching lines. For this photo, I haven’t yet removed the grid or the unused diagonal lines:
To-Do for the week of Dec 29th-Jan 4th:
- Make a 10th Rainbow Sashiko square. I’ve decided to keep on making these squares as I’ve come across other patterns I want to try, and I’ll probably make the squares I don’t use in the table topper into coasters.
- Write my Jan 2021 One Monthly Goal post.
- Finish binding the last Sunflower placemat for my friend, Amanda.